Big Deal aka Samir Rishu Mohanty hails from Puri, Orissa. He is born to a Japanese mother and Indian father. He completed his primary education in Puri and then moved on to complete his secondary education at St. Pauls School, Darjeeling.
Darjeeling, the queen of hills popular for its urban culture, introduced him to Hip Hop. He started rapping at the age of 18 after watching the movie 8 mile. Inspired by the rawness and the sheer power of the freedom of expression, he began to pen down his own thoughts in the form of rhymes. In the beginning it was more of a way to stand out and gain attention but things got serious when he started using rap as a tool to vent.
His lyric predominantly focuses on uplifting lives and inspiring people to overcome everyday struggles. Each one of us has struggles, however big or small, and struggle is the only thing that keeps us at our feet grinding. It helps us get better and without it, our lives would lose meaning. So he raps for that one kid with a dream in order to provide him enough inspiration to carry on and persevere regardless of the struggle that he faces.
• All music videos playing regularly on VH1, MTV Indies, and 9XO
• One whole episode on MTV Sync with Blaaze(AR Rahman’s official rapper). Other artists featured on the show were Kailasa, Raghu Dixit project, Shaair & Func, Thermal and a Quarter
• Sang/rapped the song “Back Ke Bakshy” for the Bollywood movie Detective Byomkesh Bakshy
• Sennheiser’s Top 25 artist across India, only Hip Hop artist to grace the list
• Qyuki artist of the month(March 2014)
• Songdew artist of the month(June 2014)
• Endorsed by Beats By Dr.Dre
• Winner of the Renault FreeTheMusic 2014 contest hosted by Songdew
• Formed #DealWithPanic with DJ Panic
• In association with VH1 & Powered by DesiHipHop, Deal With Panic made a North East India Tour in November, 2014
• Deal With Panic covered cities like Kolkata, Darjeeling, Siliguri, Itanagar, Gangtok performing at 6 venues in a span of 16 days
• Songs played on many Radio stations
• 2 interviews on Radio One 94.3FM
• Covered and seen on Deccan Chronicles, Bangalore Mirror, Rolling Stones and plenty other websites & magazines.
• Over 300,000 plays and 10,000 downloads
Opened acts for–
• DJ Mark Da Spot(Justin Timberlake’s official DJ)
• Gangis Khan aka Camoflauge
Big Deal has performed over 300+ shows