6 Goechala Trek
Region :- Sikkim
Duration :- 11 Days
Grade :- Moderate To Difficult
Max Altitude :- 16,200 Ft.
Approx. Trekking distance :- 90 Kms.
Day 1: New Jalpaiguri (NJP) to Yuksom
- Altitude: 5700 ft.
- A drive of 150 km which will approx. take 8 hours will take guests to Yuksom
- Pick-up will be available at 10:00 am from NJP railway station (Travel cost inclusive).
- The guests will pass through a Police Check Post at Melli. Foreigners require an Inner Line Permit(ILP)–the driver will help them get it. This procedure might take about half-an-hour.
- From NJP guests will directly traverse to Melli (at the border of Sikkim and West Bengal)
- There will be a quick lunch break at Jorthang.
- The last available ATM is at Legship.
- Guests will reach the Base camp at Yuksom and stay at a guest house for the night.
Day 2: Yuksom to Siachin
- Altitude: 7200 ft
- Trek distance : 8 kms (approx. 6 hrs)
- There are no shops on the trail.
- The telecom networks are quite erratic due to the climatic conditions of the region.
- There are abundant water sources available.
- Guests should have their lunch packed en route.
- The trail goes through dense forests, which have frequent ascent and descent.
- After half-an-hour of walking from Yuksom, guests can see Tshokha
Trail passes through three iron bridges (There will be a gradual ascent till the first bridge, then steep ascent for 20 min then some more gradual descent till the second bridge and gradual ascent till third bridge) The guests will have to walk for about half an hour to reach camp site.
- Be careful on the trail as it is frequented by animals like yak and mules.
- Make way for the animals by sticking to the mountain side and letting the animals pass.
- Siachin campsite is in the forest, so the guests will be accommodated in tents.
Day 3: Siachin to Tshokha via Bakhim
- Altitude: Bakhim at 8600 ft and Tshokha at 9700 ft
- Trek distance : 7 kms (approx. 5 hrs)
- The guests can enjoy a pleasant walk till the last iron bridge (1 km from Siachin)
- There will be a steep ascent till Bakhim and spot mountain peaks like: Mt. Pandlm, Mt. Tenzinkhay.
- Guests can enjoy some tea and refill their water bottles at Bakhim.
- From Bakhim the guests will have to trek for 2 kms to reach Tshokha.
- The trail is lined with Rhododendron and Alpine berries which make the trek all the more scenic and picturesque.
- The guests can have lunch at campsite.
- Everyone will stay the night in tents
Day 4: Tsokha to Dzongri via Phedang
- Altitude : Phedang at 10500 ft and Dzongri at 12980 ft
- Trek distance : 9 kms (approx. 7 hours)
- The trail mostly has a gradual ascent from Tsokha to Phedang which is around 4.5 kms away and will take 3 hrs and from there Phedang to Dzongri will take 4.5 km and 3 hrs of trekking.
- For the first one hour, the trail is rocky, for the next two hours it is a wooden trail and once again it goes back to being rocky, and continues to be in a zig-zag trail till camp site.
- Guests should carry packed lunch and enough water as there are no sources of drinking water en route.
Day 5: Rest day in Dzongari
- Trek distance: to Dzongari top at 13,675 ft (approx. 1 hour)
- Peaks that can be spotted: Frey Peak, Kumbakarana, Rathong, Kabru South, Kabru North, Kabru Dome, Kangchenddzonga, Jupono, Pandim, Simro.
- Instructions: Do not sleep inside the tents or anywhere, during the day. Guests are advised to go for small walks and explore the vicinity.
Day 6: Dzongari to Thansing via Kokcharang
- Altitude: Kokcharang at 12,000ft, Thansing at 12900
- Trek distance: 10 kms (approx. 6 hrs)
- There will be a trek from Dzongari to Kokcharang which is 8 kms in length and will take approx. 4 hours.
- There will be a gradual walk through meadows and descend to reach Kokcharang.
- Everyone is advised to refill their water bottles at Kokcharang.
- From Kokcharang, there is a short walk to the bridge towards Prekchu River. Guests will rest for a while and then ascend for 2 kms to reach Thansing.
- Guests will enjoy a hot lunch at the campsite.
Day 7: Thansing to Lamuney
- Altitude: 13650 ft
- Trek distance : 4 kms (approx. 2 hours)
- Morning call 8-9-10 (8am: tea, 9am: breakfast, 10am: Move for Lamuney)
- This is deemed as the easiest day of the trek.
- Guests will enjoy some steaming hot lunch at their camp site.
- Everyone will trek further to Samiti Lake which is about 2kms away
Day 8: Lamuney to Goechala via Samiti Lake back to Lamuney
- Everyone will trek to Thansing (or Kokcharang, depending on the trekkers’ speed/weather)
- Altitude: 16,000 ft
- Trek distance : 18 kms (approx. 13 hours)
- This day is deemed to be the longest and toughest day of the trek.
- There will be a call for Goechala at 1:00 am. Guests will pack their backpacks at night, so when they return, they will simply have food and leave for the lower campsite.
- The trek from Lamuney to Samiti Lake is an easy one and will take an hour.
- The trek from Lamuney to View Point 1 will take about 3 hours and will have a steep ascent for 22 hours(15100 ft – 5 kms – 3 hrs).
- From View Point 1 to Goechala lake it will take the guests about 1.5 hours(15,700 ft) from there to View Point 2 (16,000ft) it will take them through a steep ascent and this will last for about 40 minutes.
- If the weather allows everyone will Move ahead of View Point 2.
- Descend to Lamuney for some hot lunch.
- Descend further to Thansing/Kokcharang.
- Peaks one can spot: Kabru South, Kabru North, Kabru Dome, Kangchendzonga, Gocha Jupano, Pandim, Sinvo, Tenzingkhang.
Day 9: Thansing/Kokcharang to Tsokha via Phedang
- Altitude: Thansing 12,900 ft/ Kokcharang 12,000 ft to Tsokha 9700 ft
- Trek distance : 16 kms (approx. 7 hours)
- The trek will start around 7:00 am reach Tsokha by 3:00 pm
- Guests will carry packed lunch.
- Kokcharang to Phedang will take about 4 hours and 12 kms and a gradual ascent and descent in the Rhododendron forest.
- From Phedang to Tsokha there will be a descent for 5 kms.
Day 10: Tsokha to Yuksom via Bakhim and Siachin
- Altitude: 5670 ft.
- Trek distance : 15 km (approx. 6 hours)
- The trail has a complete descent on the same route as day 2 and 3.
- Guests will carry packed lunch.
Day 11: Yuksom to NJP
- This is the last day of the trek and everyone will drive back 150 kms to NPJ which will take 8 hours.
- Everyone will leave Yuksom early in the morning to reach NJP by 5:00 pm.
- Guests are advised to pack their backpacks at night, so they wouldn’t have to hurry-up before leaving for NJP.
Mr. Salman : 8884926029
Mr. Narotam : 9880462044